Friday, February 12, 2016

Buffalo Springfield, "Buffalo Springfield" (1966) Track-By-Track Album Review



I just want to preface this by saying: I love Stephen Stills. I really do. It won't seem like it in this review, because Holy Christ above, did my beloved Stephen have a little bit of developing left to do at the time of this album's release. It's crazy that only a year later, he would be cranking out three of my favorite songs of all time ("Bluebird", "Everydays", and "Rock and Roll Woman"), and would continue to crank out amazing songs for several years after. We won't talk about his Yacht-Rock phase yet...that's another sad post for another sad day. At least there's no Richie Furay songs on this one.


Anyway, when this album is talked about on music review sites, the word "mediocre" is brought up quite a bit. Most people agree that it's not as disjointed as Last Time Around, but it's certainly not the masterpiece that Buffalo Springfield Again is. I agree with both of those statements, but I still think this album is generally underrated, because there's some really solid material on here that no one gets around to talking about. The truth is, the album is only dragged down by a few weaker tracks. 

I should put out there that I'm reviewing the version of the album with "For What It's Worth", and without the dreadful "Baby, Don't Scold Me", a Stephen composition featured on the original pressing of the album. Just that one little change improves the album drastically, trust me. So, let's get down to it...


A1. "For What It's Worth" (Written by Stephen Stills)
This is the song most people know from the album, and there's good reason for it. It's considered an anthem for the Vietnam era: "Nobody's right/if everybody's wrong", "Paranoia strikes deep", etc. Oh, and that chorus. Stephen probably blesses the day he wrote that shit, because it's easily one the catchiest chorus to ever surface from his pen, or anyone's really. In fact, most people don't know the real name of this song, but as soon as they hear "Stop children/what's that sound?/Everybody look what's going down!", almost anyone is capable of joining in. The production is generally minimal, which I think works to the track's benefit. As you all know, I'm a sucker for tasteful backing vocals, and the "oohs" that come in during the "What a field day" verse are spot on. Same for Richie's harmonies on the last verse. 4.5/5



A2. "Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills)
A solid, catchy, country pop song. Nothing more, nothing less. 4/5



A3. "Sit Down, I Think I Love You" (Stills)
Again, a nice, inoffensive country-esque track written by Mr. Stills. While I don't dislike this, I can see why the mediocre label comes when we get to this point in the album. Not bad, but not groundbreaking. 3.5/5



A4. "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Neil Young)
Here is where things get remarkable. Neil Young has got to be in my top five songwriters ever, and I continually come back to this song, knowing it will always be one of my favorites. If you haven't figured out by now, I like weird stuff. This song is certainly not average, and less radio-friendly than basically everything else on the album. There's something about the grab-bag lyrics, wonderful melody, and time signature changes that get me every time. As little as I care for most of Mr. Furay's A.M. radio-worthy songwriting, he does have a very smooth, easy voice that crunches wonderfully against Stephen's soulful voice, and later, crunches even more against Neil's. I've been trying to remember the first time I ever heard this masterpiece, and the details are fuzzy, but I do remember that the second I heard, "Who's all hung up on that happiness thing?", I was sold. 5/5



A5. "Hot Dusty Roads" (Stills)
There are some cringeworthy lyrics here, but the chord changes are nice. More kind of chill, undistinguished country pop from Mr. Stills. 3/5



A6. "Everybody's Wrong" (Stills)
Again, this song contains some absolutely terrible lyrics: "Listen to my song/It isn't very long," is the first of these. Jesus Christ. Aside from that, this track is slightly more interesting musically than any of Stephen's other material on the album so far. It grows on you quite a bit the more you listen to it. That doesn't mean I'm forgiving him for the first lyric though.... 4/5



B1. "Flying on the Ground is Wrong" (Young)
What a way to open the second side. This is easily my second favorite song here, only after "Clancy". Richie takes on vocal duties again, and he does a good job, though I prefer Neil's vocals on his acoustic renditions of the song. Either way, this intro is gorgeous, the subtle backing vocals are wonderful, the lyrics ache without being too in-your-face about it. "If I'm bright enough to see you/You're just too dark to care." How beautiful is that? Neil is almost incapable of disappointing me. 5/5



B2. "Burned" (Young)
Two Neil songs in a row on this album? Finally! He actually sings on this one too, and does a good job. The call-and-response backing vocals were also a wonderful touch. Maybe the reason I like Neil's songs so much more on this album specifically is that Neil's songs have more of a pop inflection than a country one, like Stephen's do here. The more I listen to this, the more I feel like it could've been a Motown hit if a proper arrangement was put together. 4.5/5



B3. "Do I Have To Come Right Out and Say It?" (Young)
Wow, we're three for three on the B-side songs here. This song echoes "Flying" a little bit, and is almost as good. It's missing that special something, but it's lovely nonetheless. Richie's vocals sound great, the falsetto backing vocals are good, and the bridge tugs at the heartstrings for a reason I couldn't explain. 4.5/5



B4. "Leave" (Stills)
Oh, Stephen. Why do you do this to me? I'm trying so hard to cut you some slack here, but if this doesn't sound like something knocked off in the studio just to finish the album, then I don't know what does. I mean, I guess the guitar here is cool, but nothing else stands out to me. 2.5/5



B5. "Out Of My Mind" (Young)
How many pop songs do you know about epileptic seizures? I only know this one. Neil's vocals here are absolutely gorgeous, the guitar sound is interesting, there's some nice fuzz effect going on, the backing vocals are lovely. As a singer, I also love the way Neil cuts off at the end, clearly sounding the "d" in "mind". Chorus teachers everywhere should be proud. 4.5/5



B6. "Pay the Price" (Stills)
I was hoping Stephen would really step up to the plate here to close out the album, but alas, his genius wasn't meant to strike again until the next album. I've listened to this song quite a few times, and it's still unmemorable every time I hear it. What a shame. 2/5



47/60 = 78.3%
Final Grade: C+ 
(Neil's songs get an A....)


Thanks for reading!! Comment what I should review next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment